USPS BlueEarth® Secure Destruction Mail Service Program
The USPS BlueEarth® Secure Destruction Mail Service Program is an innovative new sustainability solution aimed at reducing the impacts of mail. It is designed specifically for intelligent mail barcode (IMb) business mailers. Using IMb technology, the program identifies, intercepts and securely shreds letter-size pieces of Undeliverable- As-Addressed (UAA) First-Class Mail® with personal protected information that would otherwise be returned to the sender (RTS). Secure Destruction is an opt-in service that operates under the protection and supervision of the United States Postal Service at no additional cost to mailers.
Mailing Industry Benefits
- This program also helps reduce landfill waste and avoids associated carbon emissions through recycling securely-destroyed items. The USPS estimates that for every 25,000 pieces of carrier delivered Return To Sender (RTS) mail that is destroyed, an estimated 1 metric ton of CO2 equivalent of carbon emissions is avoided.
- The process takes place within secure USPS® facilities by Postal employees, reducing risks of information exposure.
- All securely destroyed mail will be recycled, thus reducing the demand on natural resources.
Benefits for Registered Mailers
- Reduction of in-house costs for handling and destroying Return to Sender (RTS) mail.
- Visibility into the process through daily automated notifications on the USPS® Electronic Product Fulfillment (EPF) website.
- Improvements in privacy protection for customers.
The Registration Process
Mailers interested in the Secure Destruction Program can complete these steps to register:
- Use existing or register for an Intelligent Mail® barcode (IMb™) for Full and Basic IMb™letter-sized First-Class Mail®.
For additional information visit: https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=intellmailmailpieces.
- Use existing or register for a SingleSource ACS™, OneCode ACS®, or Traditional ACS™ account.
Not currently registered? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an account.
- Use existing Electronic Product Fulfillment (EPF) account or complete an EPF Web Access
Request Form. Access the form at http://ribbs.usps.gov/forms/documents/tech_guides/ps5116.pdf.
- Complete the Secure Destruction enrollment form. Obtain the form by contacting email@example.com.
- Once enrolled, prepare mailings with an approved SD Service Type Identifier (STID) and start saving money!
Check out our Video on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H4KJVA2vik.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON SECURE DESTRUCTION FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO THE RIBBS SECURE DESTRUCTION PAGE.
Register for Secure Destruction Mail Service today!